Ash Ra Tempel - Join Inn CD (album) cover

Ash Ra Tempel

3 stars Don't come into Ash Ra Tempel looking for songs, or anything that could be reckoned composition. The idea of composition here is "hey, after ten minutes of jamming, I'll turn on my echo pedal!! then I'll turn it off again." Basically, you just have three guys (drums, guitar, bass), each in front of a mic, and they say "go!" and start playing. But this stuff simply works. I really like Klaus Schulze as a drummer -- actually, I wish he'd spent more time playing drums in his career than messing with synthesizers: he has a hyperactive, irrepressible style that I wish I could find more recordings of. And Manuel Gottching, the guitarist with the aforementioned echo pedal, is one of my favorite listens when it comes to an extended jam. The first track is that jam, the second track is the "calm after the storm." Consider this album the less ominous, more freewheeling succesor to the first, self-titled Ash Ra Tempel album, which is of course one of the most devastating kraut recordings of all time.
corbet | 3/5 |