Peter Gabriel - Secret World Live CD (album) cover

SECRET WORLD LIVE

Peter Gabriel

SentimentalMercenary
2 stars Secret World is a decent album overall, but which I find falls into repetetiveness. But then, that's the problem with most pop music shows. Yet, when it comes to Peter Gabriel, he does set himself apart in the commercial genre. I kind of call him "mainstream fringe". His ability to create music that has wide appeal, without falling too much into clichés, drawing from several genres and adding his very distinctive, artistic touch, has earned my respect as well as my ears. He IS an Artist (with a capital A), and his work shows.

Still, whereas most tracks on this album, taken individually, are enjoyable, the whole series gets a bit long before the full hour is gone. The ensemble remains mostly within the same tempo and sound range, and does not explore the full spectrum of Gabriel's solo career.

I recognize that this must have been a good show live, but I am left mostly indifferent with it on this album. Recommended to fans of Gabriel's solo work, but I would not go so far as to recommend it to a progressive rock enthusiast looking for the thrill of the year.

SentimentalMercenary | 2/5 |