Can - Ege Bamyasi  CD (album) cover

EGE BAMYASI

Can

Krautrock

friso
4 stars Can - Ege Bamyasi (1972)

This was my first Can record. I fell in love quite instantly and bought five vinyl reprints of the Can in one week, almost creating financial problems. Though I liked this album at first spin, it took me some time to understand it. Can shows quite different types of songs on this album, going from psychobeat to funk, a quick stop at some venom and above al stylish rythmical tunes. I consider it to be very special this record never seems to age. In fact, as time passes is seems to get more modern every year. A lot of young people like this record and will refer to it as 'indi-music' or 'chilling-music' and the like. One song Soup is the only song most people won't like, for it is a sort of a-tonal messed-up ritual with distorted electronic sounds and despared cries of lead singer Suzuki. Though it is interesting it doesn't seem to fit with the other material on the album, which is quite relaxing and moody.

Pinch and One More Night are like a jam session with much effect and rythmical experiments. Overall these tracks are enjoyable but one might argue wether these songs aren't a bit boring sometimes. Still they are relaxing and full of surprises if you listen very carefully to them. I'm so green on side two is a very nice rock track with yet some more relaxing sounds.

Songs I would like to adress to a very good are Sing Swan Song, Vitamin C and Spoon. Sing Swan Song has a world music feel with warm melodies and gentle rythms. The vocals by Suzuky particualary well here. This songs might just be the most touchy 'ballad' of the Can. Vitamin C is more psychobeat but has a catcy vocal line and great rythms. Owh I love those drums of Jaki Liebezeit! The song evelves nicely and some psychadelic vibes add to a great composition which makes you want to get from you chair and dance to the rythms (kind of strange for a progact). Spoon is one of the best Can tracks ever. The intro keypart is still very modern and the main theme with the weird key noise repeating is adorable. The vocals are again very catchy due to it's rythmic relation to the drums. The great ending has some multiple vocal layers that sound heavenly attractive in a gentle way.

Conclusion. Great material, some perfect tracks (Sing Swan Song and Spoon) and some weaker moments (mainly the too experimental Soup). I think this is a highly rewarding record for proggers who like krautrock, psychadelic music and avant-gardem while typical symphoproggers might want to avoid it. For me this is a four star recording with some of Can's best tracks and some of Can's most relaxt tracks.

friso | 4/5 |