Yes - Drama CD (album) cover

DRAMA

NickCrimsonII
4 stars The first album of the three (excluding ABWH) that Yes would release in the 80s, a questionable decade for progressive rock and rock music in general. However, thankfully it did not manage to put an end to this genre.

As for 'Drama', it is surely and interesting album. It sees the band without their major creative forces Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman, which are instead replaced by the half of the Boggles (whose radio hit 'Video killed the radio star' has been hitting the mainstream hard), namely Trevor Horn on vocals and Geoff Downes on keys.

Here the band's sound is definitely different for good. Much fresher and even aggressive (best depicted on opening track 'Machine Messiah') than its stale predecessor. Also, Yes' sound is much more accessible and easily perceivable on this album which is not necessarily a bad thing. Shorter songs and more direct, kind of pop rock and art rock approach, much like 'Going For the One' but the songs here are much more joyous.

Just six tracks and around 37 minutes of music, 'Drama' is an interesting and, I guess, polarizing addition to the Yes catalogue. I personally enjoy it and I see it as an album I would like to go back to, something I would definitely want to put on again. Whether it is the glorious opening track, the catchy 'Does It Really Happen', the proggy 'Into the Lens' (Didn't know Trevor Horn was a camera!), or the lighter and fun 'Run Through the Night'.

Overall, I find the album a strong one, yet not as adventurous as any of the masterpieces that came some years before it, full of energy and high vibration and a good indication of where the band would go musically, so this makes it somewhat of a transitory album.

It might be slightly disappointing not to see Jon or Rick but at the same time it feels like a breath of fresh air. 3.8-4/5 stars

NickCrimsonII | 4/5 |