Dredg - El Cielo CD (album) cover

EL CIELO

Dredg

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
3 stars El Cielo offers entirely harmless prog pop that could appeal to Radiohead and Muse fans. Not so much to me though. The reason is that all songs head for a too obvious emotional impact. The singer is very competent but his melodies are predictable, pathetic and regularly whiny. There are exceptions though. "Sorry But It's Over" for example, is a very gripping indie rock song flourished with some spacey delay guitar effects you sure know from Radiohead, Editors and Interpol. Other songs that are worth a listen would be 18 People, Scissor Lock, Of the Room, It only took a day.

The music can be described as post-Radiohead indie rock with much of the mentioned echo-box guitars and an occasional heavy guitar power chord. I honestly don't have a clue why this band is featured here but at least I got to know them because of it. And that's a good thing as I appreciate a bit of well done pop once in a while. One needs at least a few albums you can play when your mother is around.

Bonnek | 3/5 |