Yochk'o Seffer - Neffesh Music :Ghilgoul CD (album) cover

Yochk'o Seffer

4 stars Yochk'o Seffer leans mostly towards jazz fusion, but actually it doesn't sound like jazz fusion, because it's avant-prog. The most similar artist with Yochk'o Seffer is maybe ZAO. They are even very similar, but I prefer Yochk'o Seffer, if I'd have to choose between them. There's much same elements, for example the vocals, though they're quite rare. Ghilgoul is maybe more mystic and smooth, but it's hard to say. Margand String Quartet is one of the things that makes Seffer's music so original. They play with a bit odd mood, like some for example psychedelic East-European choral folk music (see "Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares", though it sounds totally different). It's atmospheric and distant and dark, also very sharp. So is the piano. I could also think this as a version of PRESENT or UNIVERS ZERO, but more symphonic/atmospheric and folk. Though, after all this isn't chamber rock or folk, but "pure" zeuhl. And of course, every instrument sounds great. The music is great, but if I must say bad things, I'd say that for an album as long as this there should be more diversity on a larger scale. But within a song, there's no problems with that. My favourite tracks are Shebira and Dailn (where, also, I have to say, 1:10 -> reminds me of HENRY COW, like some other parts on this album with the structure or the overall "hidden dark chaotic" feeling). Compared to their album "Ima", the other one is more vivid/spastic and this is more mystical/atmospheric. Both have good and bad sides.

I recommend this album (and Ima, which I don't review separatedly) for every avant-prog, zeuhl and jazz fusion fan.

progressive | 4/5 |