Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment 2  CD (album) cover

LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT 2

Liquid Tension Experiment

Valarius
4 stars Liquid Tension Experiment 2 reunites John Petrucci, Jordan Rudess, Mike Portnoy and Tony Levin to do what they better than anyone else.

Fans of the first LTE album should know what to expect here, and should in no way feel disappointed with what is on offer. In fact, the first thing I noticed about this album is how much more 'complete' it feels than the first. That's not to put down the LTE1 album, but there is less improvising and 'random' songs (such as the Kevin & Chris Adventure one) and more full sounding songs, for example, the instant classic 'Acid Rain', 'Biaxident', 'Another Dimension' and the mind-boggling 'When the Water Breaks'.

Of course this album isn't without its low points. Where the first five songs are pretty much musical masterpieces in my opinion, the last three songs are kind of dull and boring, which is a shame because at the rate of the first half of the record, it was definitely headed for five stars.

As you would expect with a group that mostly consists of Dream Theater members, the musicianship here is beyond words, in fact I believe the saying is 'often imitated, never duplicated'.

This is definitely an album for Dream Theater fans, and also people who just like to hear amazing instrumentals. I don't think it's better or worse than its predecessor, but of the two albums, if you're looking to check the band out I would definitely recommend this album first.

Valarius | 4/5 |