Pollen - Pollen CD (album) cover

POLLEN

Pollen

ZowieZiggy
4 stars This album features sublime instrumental parts, wholly reminiscent of the "Trespass" era of whom you might know.

It is another story during some vocals "interludes". I don't know if Rivest was forcing his abilities, but as far as I'm concerned he was quite average in his vocal duties (except during the superb "L'Etoile") and his accent is quite difficult to bear. But to come back to "L' Etoile", the magnificent keyboard melody raises this song to another level, indeed.

There aren't any weak tracks featured on this album and thanks to some wonderful parts it really keeps up on the good side. At times the music turns out to be more jazz oriented ("Tout L'Temps" - Always) although some instrumental parts are totally borrowed to "Genesis". Too much really.

"Vivre La Mort" is quite an experience though: wild beat, heavy organ for a while, combined with such delicate guitar for a while. The closing section is an absolute and brilliant hymn to electric guitar prog solo. A great moment of music for sure.

The closing epic "La Femme Ailée" is quite a good musical moment to share: complex instrumental interplay (KC is not too far, even if "Genesis" is again present at almost any corner). A very good way to close this effort. A combination of "Cinema Show" with some church organ, scary mood and some great guitar. What else do we need?

I would rate this album with seven out of ten because it borrows a lot to some giants we all love. Since this more accurate rating is still not available, I will raise it to four stars.

ZowieZiggy | 4/5 |