Logos - Sadako e le mille gru di carta CD (album) cover

SADAKO E LE MILLE GRU DI CARTA

Logos

Rock Progressivo Italiano

PrimeReviewsMusic
5 stars Review - #17 (LogoS - Sadako e le mille gru di carta)

LogoS' Sadako e le mille gru di carta tells the story of Sadako, a Japanese schoolgirl who developed leukemia due to the radiation from the atomic bomb dropped onto Hiroshima. She was hospitalized and became seriously ill. However, she began the journey of folding a thousand paper cranes in hopes that she will be granted with a single wish. The band tells a dark yet reflective story that is expertly crafted through its poetic lyrics and brilliant musical passages. Interestingly, A copy of the album is kept and exhibited in the Hiroshima Peace Museum, a few meters from the statue dedicated to Sadako at the Children's Peace Monument. The main musicians present on this album include Luca Zerman on lead vocals and keyboards, Claudio Antolini on keyboards, Fabio Gaspari on bass, guitars, mandolin, and vocals. Lastly, we have Alessandro Perbellini on drums. I believe the band's sound has the biggest influence from Le Orme while also having possible influences from other legendary Italian progressive rock bands. With guitars being brought to a minimum, the keyboards shine through superbly. Making this an album for keyboard lovers everywhere!

When beginning this album, the listener is immediately introduced to the majestic nature found within the band on the song Origami in SOL. Clocking in just over two minutes, it is a perfect introduction that sets the tone for the entire album. Not to mention, displaying some excellent keyboard work from the band (which is something you'll hear me bring up a lot). The next song, Paesaggi di insomnia introduces us to some incredible melodies found within the first two minutes of the song before we are first presented with some vocals from the band. With the combination of splendid keyboard work and the surprising introduction of a saxophone from Federica Zoccatelli just over the five-minute mark, the band is able to shine through and create a moving yet incredibly memorable song. The ensuing song, Un lieto inquietarsi happens to be my favorite found on the album. It begins with some unbelievably powerful keyboard notes with electric guitar being played in background succession. Suddenly, the song gets thrown up a notch when the drums from Simone Chiampan begin to pick up pace and the entire band commences to play. The combination the keyboards, bass, and guitar make is incredibly well done. Not to mention, having a sound that is somewhat similar to ELP. Then, the band erupts into a few beautifully crafted melodies that would be better heard then me trying to explain them. At around the five and a half minute mark the band slows it down with the sound of an orchestra. This is done with such class and beauty that perfectly displays the excellent songwriting skills found throughout the album. Just as things slow down, the song picks up again with some interesting vocal arrangements. Only when you thought things couldn't get any better, the song goes into one of the most incredible keyboard sections that I've ever heard, probably reaching my top ten of all time. The magnificence yet victorious tone found here is truly masterful. After, the song is returned with some more vocals and altered themes from earlier in the song. A definitive masterpiece of progressive rock!

The next track, Il sarto is a shorter piece introducing vocals from Elisa Montaldo. This song feels like a real callback to some of the legendary bands that came before them such as Le Orme. With the atmosphere having a more folk-like mood, the song is able to slow things down not just for the sake of it, but to create an excellently crafted and extremely beautiful song that is a perfect addition to the album. Can things get any better? Next, the album begins a 12+ minute track entitled Zaini di elio. I was lucky enough to discover from a question asked on the band's Q&A that this is some of the band members favorite song within LogoS' discography. Zaini di elio is the most synthesizer rich song found throughout the entire album, containing many beautifully crafted melodies that combines the heavy use of synthesizers with superb drum work. The group of melodies that begin at the forty second mark has to be one of the highlights of the entire album for me, it is able to display a range of emotions while delivering with excellent musicianship all around. Interestingly, this theme would later be repeated in the song but instead at a slower tempo for a few minutes while being accompanied with some beautiful harmonies from the band. Not to mention, the instrumentation present is precise while displaying a multitude of brilliant ideas from the band. Marvelous song! The last track found on the album is an epic that stretches over 21 minutes in length. The album titled, Sadako e le mille gru di carta, closing track is outstanding! In addition, the lyrics found throughout the song are extremely poetic and beautifully written. Even if you don't speak Italian I would recommend taking the time to translate them, you definitely wont regret it! The song begins with some gorgeous piano instrumentation that is dripping with a vast amount of emotion. Then, as you hear a plane coming in, the song moves into a just as beautiful synth segment that just enhances the thoughtful and gorgeous piano section found earlier in the song. In my opinion, this song contains the best vocals I've heard from the band with rich emotional emphasis found throughout the singing. All of the melodies found within the epic are nothing less then incredible! Thus, it would be somewhat difficult to talk about every single one present. The immense creativity used when writing this song is breathtaking. The band has truly created an excellent closing to this masterpiece of an album. While being immeasurably beautiful, the song also feels somewhat dark due to the lyrics present. Therefore, I always find myself leaving this song with multiple ranges of emotions and thoughts which is not easy for a band to do. Especially since it's done in such an excellent way. Bravo!

In closing, I believe Sadako e le mille gru di carta is one of the highlights of 2020! It is a wonderfully crafted album that emphasizes every element I have always enjoyed within progressive rock. I would highly recommend giving this album a listen. A definitive masterpiece of the genre!

PrimeReviewsMusic | 5/5 |

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.