Mr. So & So - Compendium CD (album) cover

Mr. So & So

4 stars I would have given this gem 5 stars if not for the thin, creaky production. Unfortunately that was a problem that plagued this excellent neo-prog band throughout its career. The strength of the album is its solid songwriting - always fixed on memorable melodies, and always aided by a strong vocal presence. The band could also be prasied for not being afraid of incorporating musical elements not usually found in mid-90s neo-prog. The occasional "pop" flourish made for a more interesting take on a genre that can easily fall into cliches.

Lead vocalist and excellent bassist Shaun McGowan should be singled out for his superb vocals and original bass lines. Wouldn't be surprised if he eventually has a solo career or appears as a session player, he's that talented. The rest of the band has its chops, but unfortunately the flat recording dilutes their efforts to a certain extent.

I fisrt came across this band in the mid-1990s when I was initially getting back into prog in a big way, sadly wish they were still around as they were the band I often used as a example for friends to have them hear that "prog ain't dead."

Area70 | 4/5 |