Billy Cobham - Spectrum CD (album) cover

SPECTRUM

Billy Cobham

friso
4 stars Billy Cobham - Spectrum (1973)

Considered as masterpiece of the genre I must say this a great record to listen too. I would not call is progressive fusion though. It's just jazz-rock at it's best. The guitars are screeming like in a hard rock act, the keys are intelligent and fast (Jan Hammer was invited), the basslines punchy and jazzy and yeah... the drums.. on a high lonely level of jazz drums.

Cobham shows us how to really push these jazzrock pieces to the limets and yet has the most subtle drumsolo's on other tracks. Before I really got into this record I had to ask the drummer of my band what was so special about the drums on this album. Now I think I understand it: it's all about dynamics and just a tiny bit about the technical way to get speed.

The composition is very well for a drummer, only the overall form of the record could have been better. Some parts still feel a bit like fragments, while other are grownup jazz pieces and even became standards.

Conclusion. A nice piece of hard jazz/rock with no real surprises, except for the brilliant drumparts on all the songs. Four stars are well deserved here. Just get this record!

friso | 4/5 |