Gong - Time Is The Key CD (album) cover

Canterbury Scene

1 stars Pierre Moerlen's Gong - Time is the Key (1979)

This record has really nothing to do with the Canterbury Gong tradition, nor with the Gazeuse- like fusion of Pierre Moerlen's Gong. This is just a solo project of percussionist Peirre Moerlen. There is simply no real jazz on this record. The first side has only metalophone and some bass,drums and synths. My overall impression is that this is suited for muzak only. Nothing of interest at all for people who like progressive music. It's just boring new age. On side two we get to listen to some jazz, but even then the production is horrible and the Alan Holdsworth part is but a joke. A bad piece of music with a mediocre solo. I just can't think of anyone who would want to listen to this record, including myself. So... one star then.

friso | 1/5 |