Ayreon - Transitus CD (album) cover

TRANSITUS

Ayreon

javajeff
4 stars "The strange dimension between heaven and hell: Transitus." I am thoroughly enjoying the new album on a musical level. The musicianship and presentation are fantastic like other more recent Ayreon albums. Also, it has a ton of aural candy, so listening on excellent headphones will be rewarded. The story of Transitus is over-the-top, fun fantasy that rewards the adventurous. I am not opposed to the concoctions that Arjen comes up with, so anything in the story is fine with me. The point of a rock opera like this is to create a journey for the listener, and he does an excellent job bringing in a variety of characters that carry a theme throughout the album. Since Transitus has Simone Simons in a major role, it was an automatic purchase for me. The narration by Tom Baker is top notch, and it drew me in instantly while it ties the story together. I like how the narration breaks up the various styles of music, and the voice offers much charm. There are some notable tracks like Listen to my Story, which sounds like something from Diablo Swing Orchestra. After Between the Buried and Me did Voice of Trespass last year, it is good to see another track blend Swing and Avant-Garde metal as I think it is a very cool sound. Furthermore, it perfectly supports a vocal duet of Simone Simons and Tommy Karevik through an upbeat tempo. This vibe continues later on with Your Story Is Over!, but without the duet of the two leads. This Human Equation in the middle of Transitus is another standout track that feels like something that could have been on a previous album. It is an excellent song, and provides the needed "single" power that should appear on future live shows. Overall, this is another excellent album from Arjen Lucassen's Ayreon. It is a project that has found a very unique place in music, and Transitus continues a string of excellence.
javajeff | 4/5 |

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.