Deep Purple - Machine Head CD (album) cover

Deep Purple

4 stars It's a killing machine, it's got everything.

Well almost atleast. This album rocks hard. It opens with one of my all time favourites, and is for me the greatest track on the album. Gillans voice is on occasion soft but on times so hard and rocky that it needs to be. The part "Ooh shes/it's a killing machine, shes/its got everything" is very soft and nice, but then comes the scream "I love her, i need her" which is the opposite. These blends in Gillans voice really make a nice contrast trough the album. Other great tracks here are "Pictures of Home", "Never Before", "Lazy". I think "Smoke of the water" is actually the weakest track on the album with "Maybe im a leo". Their not bad, but not just the quality of those mentioned before. Considering the fact how much Smokes gotten radio time over the years, makes me wonder what people saw in this tune. Sure it's catchy but the vocals and the riff get old and dull very fast. Blackmores solo is the only thing keeping it alive for me.

The inconsistency of the album kills of the fifth star. It's a fantastic album though. If Purple had replaced Smoke with an epic like Child In Time who knows what would have happened, but they decided to take the safe route, which is fine. 4 stars.

paragraph7 | 4/5 |