Can - Future Days  CD (album) cover

Can

Krautrock

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
4 stars 'Future Days' is the 4th and last album featuring Damo Suzuki as vocalist and it is generally seen as the last album from their classic era. While I like much of what would Can would continue to produce, it is indeed their last album where they would re-invent their sound so drastically. 'Future Days' marks a drastic shift from their earlier raw and energetic past to a more relaxed atmospheric style with a fuller and more polished sound.

When I got to know this album I missed the energy and punk attitude from earlier Can works, but I gradually got into it. The opening track is examplary for the change. Suzuki delivers his trademark slightly 'off' vocal rants on a slightly subdued entrancing groove. It doesn't get off the ground as it used to but it has a new mesmerizing beauty that will probably appeal to many listeners that are generally not into the Can.

Spray is great. It's an enigmatic experimental track that borders on free-jazz. Is a bit mellow if you don't pay close attention to it but it works really well if you crank up the volume! Moonshake is another winner. A catchy tune that lightens up the tension a bit. With 19 minutes, Bel Air should have been the eye-catcher but I find it the weakest track, sounding rather like a few disjointed improvisations strung together. Some parts work better then others but as a whole it doesn't fully convice.

There are flashes of brilliance on this album but it might be a bit too subdued and moody to get into. A great work but not my favorite from this band.

Bonnek | 4/5 |