Threshold - Clone CD (album) cover

CLONE

Threshold

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
4 stars "Yes, we can make a few tweaks! Yes, we will create some freaks!"

Threshold once again lost Damian Wilson who left the band for the second time after their last album Extinct Instinct. In my view, the two albums Wilson sings on, Wounded Land and Extinct Instinct, are Threshold's best with the latter being my #1 favourite. But Clone is another powerful album that introduced new singer Andrew McDermott (or "Mac" as he is often called) which was the band's third singer in four albums. Like Glynn Morgan who sang on Psychedelicatessen, McDermott has a strong voice but hardly as distinctive as that of Damian Wilson. Overall, the musical direction of Clone is perhaps closer to that of Psychedelicatessen than to the other two I have mentioned. It is filled with great riffs and melodies flawlessly performed and recorded.

Like the debut, Wounded Land, Clone too is a concept album. This time they want to tell us about the supposed dangers of genetic engineering. While the lyrics are certainly less naive and "preachy" here compared to the debut, the ideological view presented is, again, a bit questionable in my view. Personally, I think that those who are overly sceptical of the abilities of genetic engineering are often not very well educated about the science and tend to greatly exaggerate the risks involved. But the lyrics do not distract me too much. Anyway, this is an enjoyable set of progressive Heavy Metal songs revolving around this theme. Black Sabbath-like guitar riffs and highly melodic verses and choruses are still the backbone of Threshold's sound. And it works very well!

Clone is one of Threshold's better albums, and my favourite out of the Mac-era albums

SouthSideoftheSky | 4/5 |