Focus - Moving Waves  CD (album) cover

MOVING WAVES

Focus

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars Back in the seventies I used to listen to side 2 of this LP over and over again. Side 1, not so much.

The CD that I own of this was released by I.R.S. at the same time as In And Out Of Focus and Focus III, yet it does not have the awful muffled sound that the other two disks have. I supposed they took a bit more care with this release, as it contained the band's only U.S. hit.

As a teenager I loved Hocus Pocus, mostly for it's high energy guitar and drums, and secondly for the weird yodeling sections. Now, I like it, but the novelty has worn off. I liten to it occasionally, but not often. The remainder of the songs on what was side 1 of the LP are mostly forgettable, ranging from soft ballads to light fusion.

Eruption is, to me, the album's reason for being. At just over twenty-three minutes, this suite is one of the band's best reasons for inclusion on this site. It has classical references, jamming sections, soft baroque sections. And unlike many suite epics, they flow effortlessly from one section to another. Just don't expect blazing virtuosity. The performances are adequate for the piece, but nothing completely amazing.

Evolver | 3/5 |