Landberk - Riktigt Äkta  CD (album) cover

RIKTIGT ÄKTA

Landberk

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
3 stars In the beginning of the 90's a whole generation of Swedes got together around their jul tree and decided it might be fun to start a whole offspring of high quality prog rock bands. I've worked my way through all Anekdoten, Änglagard, Landberk, Sinkadus and Paatos albums now and I've hardly found one album I would rate below 4 stars.

Riktigt Äkta is the first brainchild of a then still premature Landberk. Just like early Anekdoten, the music is very similar to King Crimson, VDGG, and Genesis. In case of Landberk, I also hear a large influence from Kraut rock. Compared to Anekdoten's debut, it is a tad lighter and more playful. Especially the guitar playing of Reine Fiske enchants me, very original and captivating. He has a very subtle, almost hesitant touch that is yet very expressive and captivating.

Flawed as it is at times, this is nevertheless one of the most enjoyable 90's retro-prog albums I have heard. By taking in influences from 80's bands like Talk Talk their approach would gradually change in the next releases. They would evolve into something very unique and personal; the way a true prog rock band should do, stretching the boundaries of their music and prog rock in general. A truly overlooked band.

Bonnek | 3/5 |