Star One - Space Metal CD (album) cover

SPACE METAL

Star One

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
3 stars Overkill. That could summarize this album in one word for me. There are some really good tunes here, great musicians, extraordinary vocalists and a pleasant mix of Electric Castle era Ayreon with vintage hard rock/space metal but it's just too much.

To summarize it in a phrase, I would say it is even more overstated then its very fitting album art and yet I find myself banging away at its catchy grooves and pathos laden vocals.

For me the album is saved by two factors. First of all, within the musical boundaries chosen for this album (70's Rainbow and 80's Hawkwind come to mind), most songs are really good hard-rock tunes. Secondly, the quality of Damien Wilson, Floor Jansen and Dan Swan's voices save the project from being just empty epic pathos. The music is professional but as with all Ayreon music it is rather studied and clinical. It lacks organic feel and emotive power. The great singers here compensate for this defect.

Almost 4 stars.