Jethro Tull - Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die! CD (album) cover

TOO OLD TO ROCK 'N' ROLL: TOO YOUNG TO DIE!

Jethro Tull

Prog Folk

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
3 stars After ignoring this album for a good 20 years, I wasn't all that disappointed when I gave it a try a few years ago. Basically it suffers from the typical ultra-dry sound and weary performance that also Aqualung and Minstrel suffered from, but some songs are actually reasonably good. Laidback and acoustic but more intense then I had expected.

Well let's not get carried away, this does not compare to any of their first 6 albums, but maligned as it is, I can't see why this would be worse then War Child or Minstrel. Quizz Kid opens nicely. It's an innocent and unobtrusive little track at first, but it has good melodies, it is very playful and inspired. Crazed Institution is a regular Tull song, not very remarkable but on par with the weaker songs on Aqualung.

Salamander is really enjoyable though, great acoustic guitar from Anderson and with some nice dramatic twists in Anderson's vocal melodies. Taxi Grab doesn't grab me at all though, I'll take the next cab thank you.

From A Dead Beat is mellow song with a slight melancholic mood. Again, not bad at all. Bad-Eyed even registers as a true great one, short as it is, it has nevertheless a very inspired vocal and is a gripping moment overall. The title track is quite fun as well, similar to songs like Skating Away and War Child. The two closing tracks end the album in suitable fashion.

In short, good moments aplenty, but they don't add up to anything above 3 stars. Still, I would advise to listen with an open mind and who knows, after just a few spins, this album might charm you as well.

Bonnek | 3/5 |