Dream Theater - Hollow Years CD (album) cover

HOLLOW YEARS

Dream Theater

Valarius
2 stars As a diehard Dream Theater fanatic, I'd given this EP plenty of listens to give it a chance to grow on me. Sadly, it didn't quite do so well. Whilst 'Hollow Years' is a good tune, this EP just doesn't really have much here to get me excited, and to be honest if you're going to listen to Dream Theater, it's unlikely that you'll choose to listen to 'Hollow Years EP' over something like 'Images and Words', or even 'Falling Into Infinity', the album which this single appears on.

First off, the song 'Hollow Years' itself is awesome, but having two versions is kind of pointless. Yes, one of them is a radio edit, but this doesn't exactly encourage me to buy it. The original album version is an amazing song though. 'You or Me', the demo version of 'You Not Me' isn't as good as it's album counterpart, and personally I think this version is actually pretty bad. 'The Way it Used to Be' is okay, but really, I can see why it was left off the album.

Included on my EP are two live tracks: 'Burning My Soul' and 'Another Hand/The Killing Hand'. Both are pretty good, but don't give much incentive to buy this CD, and this is coming from a time when James LaBrie's vocals were not at their best.

Overall this is an okay record. I know I seem to have criticised it quite a bit, but it's not terribly bad. I just think it's a bit of a waste unless you're a complete collector of anything DT.

Valarius | 2/5 |