Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear CD (album) cover

SCRIPT FOR A JESTER'S TEAR

Marillion

Valarius
3 stars This is a very impressive and mature-sounding debut album by Marillion, and whilst I tried so hard to let it grow on me, I've found that for every good point about this record, there seems to be something I'm not too keen about.

A perfect example of this is the closing track 'Forgotten Sons'. The first half of the song has some amazing music and lyrics, and the keyboard melodies during the more lively part is quite possibly one of my favourite Marillion musical passages. At the four minute mark they stop dead in their tracks and the song seems to lose all momentum though.

Unfortunately this is mostly how I feel about every song. With the exception of 'He Knows You Know', which I like all the way through, I feel all the songs have a mixture of amazing and rather boring passages.

Musically however this album is great! The passionate guitar playing, the beautiful keyboard melodies, the intelligent and witty lyrics, it all comes together nicely to give Marillion a fresh and refined sound.

Overall this is a good album, which I am definitely glad to own, but due to the reasons above, I honestly couldn't give it more than three stars.

Valarius | 3/5 |