Symphony X - Prelude to the Millennium  CD (album) cover

PRELUDE TO THE MILLENNIUM

Symphony X

Valarius
5 stars For anyone looking to get into Symphony X this is a great place to start. With an excellent selection from Symphony X's first four albums, these songs still stand strong today as some of the bands best moments. So even though this was released in 1999, and some amazing albums have been recorded since then, this compilation could still easily be used to convert anyone.

Although there are no actual songs from the first album, there is a re-recording of probably the best track that record has to offer, 'Masquerade'. The new and improved version sounds much more polished and much more in the style of where Symphony X are with their sound today.

In fact, there is only really one problem I have with this collection of songs, and that's the inclusion of 'The Devine Wings of Tragedy'. Now don't get me wrong, TDWOT is an amazing song, and the album on which it appears is easily on of SX's best. But the problem is that at 21 minutes long, it pretty much takes up too much space that could have easily been used to include other great songs. If it was up to me I would have taken off TDWOT and included songs like 'The Accolade', 'Church of the Machine' or 'The Eyes of Medusa'. That would have been absolutely amazing.

Symphony X are an amazing band and I encourage anyone to listen to them. If you're into any style of Metal music you should love this band. The music is really fast and heavy, yet melodic and progressive at the same time, and Romeos guitars and Pinellas keyboards are fantastic.

After hearing this album, I strongly recommend checking out 'The Devine Wings of Tragedy' or 'Twilight or Olympus'. Oh the hell with it, just check them all out, because they're all amazing!

Valarius | 5/5 |