Dream Theater - Once In A Livetime CD (album) cover

ONCE IN A LIVETIME

Dream Theater

Valarius
3 stars This album could have been so much better than it was, but for some reason it just doesn't seem to click with me.

The set is amazing, no doubt, all the early Dream Theater classics are here. 'A Change of Seasons' has been broken down throughout the gig, which gives the show a nice sense of continuity throughout. There's plenty of little jams and pieces taken from cover songs that gives the songs a more 'live' feel, and there are plenty of individual spots that enable each musician to show off how amazing they are. So why doesn't this album work?

In all fairness, the only real low point is James LaBrie, who's vocals were desperately struggling at this point in his career. But other than that one setback, everything else is fine. The sound is very good and the band sound extremely tight and the audience are really into the show (the cheering at the beginning of 'Metropolis' sends chills down my spine).

So really... what is wrong with this album?

I just can't figure it out. I can't place my finger on what's bothering me, but something here doesn't sit well with me. It's a good album, definitely better than 'Live at the Marquee', but for a great live Dream Theater album I'd go with 'Scenes from New York', 'Live at Budokan' or 'Score'. But don't get me wrong, this is still worth getting, especially if you like Dream Theater, and it really is an all-round good effort. I think maybe I'm just being silly with this one, but I can't give it more than three stars. Sorry guys.

Valarius | 3/5 |