Metallica - Death Magnetic CD (album) cover

DEATH MAGNETIC

Metallica

Valarius
5 stars After over a decade of being ripped apart by critics, and after the critical failure that was 'St. Anger', Metallica have finally blasted back with an album that kicks all the critics square in the face, and leaves their stamp that they are still the kings of Heavy Metal.

Prior to the album's release, I was checking updates on Metallica.com and watching various behind-the-scenes videos on Youtube, and the more I watched the more excited I became. So of course once the album came out I was anxious to see whether or not it would actually live up to the hype.

It does.

The riffs are heavy. The solos are, well, back! The lyrics are better than they've been in years. James Hetfield's vocals sound better than they have done in years. And Lars Ulrichs drumming is actually pretty tight on this one (although he's still no Mike Portnoy).

The production sounds awesome again, and it's definitely a step-up after the awful mix heard on 'St. Anger'. And as a nice bonus, the drums sound like drums again!

All the songs on this record are awesome. James and Kirk show that they still have it in them with riffs faster than the speed of light. The harmonies sound very tight and are a joy to listen to. The songs themselves are more progressive than ever, with so many twists and turns that each song really has its own identity. I can't list any highlights because I'd only end up listing all the tracks.

This is Heavy Metal at its finest.

Valarius | 5/5 |