Symphony X - The Odyssey CD (album) cover

Symphony X

3 stars The Odyssey

Symphony X, a Dream Theater Clone? Not really. For this album, yeah. They Odyssey is some what of a concept album. The topics of the songs all deal with mysticism for the most part. The first song is a killer. "Inferno" is heavy and fast paced. "Inferno" reminds me that Michael Romeo is one of the best neoclassical guitarists I know of. There are some awesome riffs. The problem is with this album that all the other songs sound very similar. "Accolade II" Is probably my second favorite song on here, "Inferno" being my first. Its the classic Symphony X ballad. "The Odyssey" title track is a 24 minute epic, but its nothing great. There are some pretty cool symphonic passages, but i find it boring until near the end. This Album has some awesome riffs, and great vocals. of that there is no doubt. But the problem is, its repetitive. Its mostly just the same old prog-power metal, mixed with more Dream Theater than normal. besides Inferno and Accolade II there isn't any great songs but their aren't any terrible songs either. This is a good Prog-power album but its nothing new. If you like metal you will probably like this.

kawkaw123 | 3/5 |