Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy CD (album) cover

HOUSES OF THE HOLY

Led Zeppelin

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
2 stars After being extremely productive over a short span of three years the band finally took one year studio break before recording Houses Of The Holy. But once the album was out it showed the listeners many new shades of the band's sound.

Led Zeppelin might not be entirely progressive but they sure seemed to find it difficult to keep on track. Every time I though that I had them figured out the band would reinvent themselves and explore a different music direction on the next album. Of course I can imagine the unbearable pressure of having to follow up Led Zeppelin IV is a tough one and going in a new and fresh direction is much easier than striving for new heights in the one already explored.

Having said all that it all actually sums up to the following statement: I never liked this album!

This might seem kind of strange considering that the album before and after it are so good. Yes, the album opener is another excellent classic but then we're treated by one disappointment after the other. It is only towards the end of the album that we finally get another strong performance in the form of No Quarter but by that time the album is almost finished. I just feel that the material is laking and that it's a Led Zeppelin experiment gone wrong. Oh, did I mention that besides disliking blues I actually hate reggae? Well now you know!

***** star songs: The Song Remains The Same (5:32)

**** star songs: No Quarter (7:00)

*** star songs: The Rain Song (7:39) Over The Hills And Far Away (4:50) The Crunge (3:17) Dancing Days (3:43) D'yer Mak'er (4:23) The Ocean (4:31)

Total Rating: 3,44