Rick Wakeman - Journey To The Centre Of The Earth CD (album) cover

JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH

Rick Wakeman

Fitzcarraldo
2 stars Being a big fan of music using synthesizers and other keyboards, and having enjoyed RICK WAKEMAN's performance with YES and his previous solo album The Six Wives Of Henry VIII, with high hopes I bought the LP of "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" when it was released in 1974. Well, I have to say I was somewhat disappointed. The music, with orchestral and choral backing, is pleasant enough, but nothing in it really stands out as being special. Pretentiousness did not come into my mind at the time, just that the music itself sounded rather 'commercial' and just a bit too twee for my taste.

Eventually I gave the LP to a friend. Years later, when I started to buy CDs of the albums that I used to have as LPs, I did not consider getting "Journey To The Centre Of The Earth" again. That says it all, really.

If you have recently read Jules Verne's Journey To The Centre Of The Earth then you might enjoy listening to this album, but otherwise I would say it's for collectors and fans of RICK WAKEMAN only.

Fitzcarraldo | 2/5 |