Gong - Continental Circus CD (album) cover

CONTINENTAL CIRCUS

Gong

Canterbury Scene

toroddfuglesteg
2 stars Well, this is a difficult one. A soundtrack to a French motorracing movie. If that movie really exists, I would like a copy. Or is the movie the Le Mans movie I already got ?

Half of this album is good. That's when Daevid Allen does what he knows best. Creating a soundscape between naive pop and jazz. The music is spaced out, but also pretty melodic. Blues For Findlay is a good song with all the Gong trademarks. Not that I know this band well, but I recognice this pattern from the Magick Brother album. The rest of the album descends into a boring movie soundtrack with some spoken words which does not make any sense, even for a motorsport mad nerd like myself. Not good at all.

This album.... or rather; EP has been compared to the first Pink Floyd albums. I agree with that. I am not a fan of those two albums so that is not a redeeming point of view in my far from humble opinion. Most of Continental Circus is a rather pointless space rock excess and not the usual Gong fare. A big plus for the Jack Findlay track and that's it.

2.5 stars

Btw. I just found out that there is a movie called Continental Circus and it is about racing bikes around Europe. If it is available on DVD, it will soon find it's way to my castle.

toroddfuglesteg | 2/5 |