Tangerine Dream - Hyperborea CD (album) cover

Tangerine Dream

Progressive Electronic

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
3 stars In case you missed my White Eagle comments, you will have to dig them up first, as I would not want to be as repetitious in my reviews as Tangerine Dream has become on their albums.

Hyperborea is very similar to White Eagle and another foray into new age territories. It's not really exciting music and it particularly suffers from the sloppy drum programming. Tangerine Dream was clearly not interested in exploring the rhythmic side of electronic music, which would have been fine if they had entirely left out the poor drums that pop up here. A track like Hyperborea could have had a dramatic effect but the tepid rhythm strips it of all possible tension.

The first part of Sphinx Lightening is the best here next to the opening track, but for me it's not enough to compensate for the uninvolved music that clutters this release. The Poland live album explored this frozen sound more successfully.

2.5 stars rounded up as it is too nice again to be angry at.

Bonnek | 3/5 |