Jakob - Cale:Drew CD (album) cover

CALE:DREW

Jakob

Post Rock/Math rock

Any Colour You Like
4 stars When I saw the cover of Jakob's second album Cale:Drew, I was immediately drawn to it. It happens to be an image of a statue and fountain l know of, so it seems that this album was already meant for me.

Jakob is a post-rock band in the vein of GY!BE, that develops seemingly simple ambient music with crisp percussion, delayed guitar riffs and thunderous bass work. The build up for each song is often long and focuses around a simple composition that is apt to explode into a black mass of noise. Each song features a characteristic timbre that ebbs and flows over the course of the song, rising in volume and impetus at will, in quintessential post-rock fashion. There are no vocals as per se, with the exception of a single vocal chant mixed in with soothing guitar tones. The highlight of Cale:Drew is the two track combination of "The Diffusion of Our Inherent Situation", and the outstanding "Semaphore". Both tracks stand as examples of the simple power and emotional hooks Jakob are able to develop. As with any ambient music, it can at times seen ponderous, and some tracks just lack the climax needed to make them more memorable.

Cale:Drew is an unconventionally heavy album, more focused on guitar heavy soundscapes and layered textures than 2006's Solace, which is softer and perhaps more refined sonically. Having seen Jakob live, I can tell you that it is indeed powerful stuff, carefully paced to ensure the raw power of the soundscapes are not lost upon the listener. I cannot but strongly recommend Jakob, and indeed Cale:Drew to any post-rock/metal fan, not to mention any New Zealand prog fans, who have not heard this little known gem of Kiwi music.

4 Stars