The Pax Cecilia - Blessed Are The Bonds CD (album) cover

BLESSED ARE THE BONDS

The Pax Cecilia

Experimental/Post Metal

Any Colour You Like
3 stars Having downloaded this album on the advice of another member, I was not sure what to expect, I especially did not expect piano driven post rock with clean and screamed vocals. But hey... The Pax Cecilia have produced a decent album here, full of classical overtones, post metal edges and despair. I love the fact that each song has a different timbre and focus, it never really feels like typical post rock - and that is something to laud in a genre full of GY!BE clones.

Highlights include the beautiful piano melodies of The Tragedy, and the amped up metal riffs of The Water Song and The Tree. The vocal content is minimal, but is split between clean and screamed vocals, unfortunately, the screamed vocals aren't really my thing, and kill some of the atmosphere that the soundscapes create. Fortunately they don't last too long. The other thing that annoys me somewhat is that the latter half of the album seems to drift too much for my liking. The Water Song is very much an ambient peice, but it simply does not bulid up emotion in a way that would make it more memorable. It is almost as if the music loses some of its direction. Maybe that was the purpose, but I can't help but feel that the album just meanders too much. A little more clarity and purpose would be needed to help maintain interest throughout.

Having said this, there are several moments of beauty in Blessed Are The Bonds, and I really enjoy the fact that The Pax Cecilia had the vision to create such and ambitious album. There is a tangible aura of despair in the vocals and lyrics, and of course, the lovely classical guitar closer The Hymn caps the release off in a positive fashion. I can't be too disappointed with this album, it was free after all; therefore all the more respect must be given to the band for allowing their work to become readily available. So please, if you can donate to the band, and ensure they can keep making more ambitious music.

Any Colour You Like | 3/5 |