Styx - Greatest Hits CD (album) cover

Prog Leviathan
1 stars Excuse me while I get that vomit taste out of my mouth.

I won't patronize you, my fellow prog-lover, with the pop vs. prog debate regarding Styx on this release, because as a greatist hits album it contains every stinky-sweet radio anthem the group ever recorded... and it's terrible. The songwriting and the overall mood is one of solidified cotton-candy: at once it may have been sweet, but now it's just tasteless styrofoam, not even empty calories which give one a momentary high of stadium-ready anthems or FM sing-alongs. DeYoung's vocals are unforgiveble, and even as a guilty pleasure "Styx Greatist Hits" doesn't hold up. It's trite, shrill, and uninteresting on almost every level.

I'd take Journey any day of the week!

Songwriting: 1 Instrumental Performances: 2 Lyrics/Vocals: 1 Style/Emotion/Replay: 1

Prog Leviathan | 1/5 |