Tool - Lateralus CD (album) cover

Tool

Experimental/Post Metal

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
3 stars It seems like one either has to love or hate this album. I happen to love it as much as I hate it since I could never understand how these guys could ruin such a promising release. Most of the tracks toward the end could have been shortened or even never released. Another big problem for me are the tracks that I never can remember after I've listened to them over and over again, like The Patient and Triad. They are by no means bad but considering that I've heard them so many times I should remember them by now.

Yes, there are a few forgetting compositions but when this album is good it's really good. The Grudge is a real killer of an opening track. Parabol/Parabola with it's great video is a true gem in Tool's discography and Lateralus almost reaches the level of the title track off Ænima.

Overall it a mixed bag that still manages to get a spin or two every year so my grade is good, but non-essential.

***** star songs: The Grudge (8:36) Parabol (3:04) Parabola (6:03)

**** star songs: Eon Blue Apocalypse (1:04) Schism (6:47) Ticks & Leeches (8:10) Lateralus (9:24) Disposition (4:46) Reflection (11:07)

*** star songs: The Patient (7:14) Mantra (1:12) Triad (8:46)

** star songs: Faaip De Oiad (2:05)

Rune2000 | 3/5 |