Sympozion - Kundabuffer CD (album) cover

KUNDABUFFER

Sympozion

prog_traveller!!
4 stars "Kundabuffer" is definitely one of the strangest albums I've come across lately. I definitely don't mean "strange" in the sense of "weird", but "strange" in the sense of "idiosyncratic", "independent", "unusual" ...

The Israelis Sympozion present a mature work with their debut. Stylistically, the music that is offered here is hard to pin down for me. Most likely it sounds to me as if a jazz combo had decided to play progressive rock and composed correspondingly complex arrangements. But in the practical implementation they fall back into their "old" jazz idioms and so the solos sound more jazz-weird than rock-like. And so the songs are dominated by a rather loose, fluffy melodious sound, because snotty rock hardness. Occasional outbreaks confirm the rule here again.

But that doesn't detract from the whole thing. "Kundabuffer" has turned out to be an extremely nice, entertaining album, which has its own charm, which at least I cannot escape. I haven't heard such a combination of jazz-rocking and then again symphonic parts often. And the album has a pretty clever arc of suspense, so that the screw of complexity and playfulness is tightened more and more on the fourth track "Grapefruit" at the latest, until it all culminates in the sweeping "Grapefruit Variations" and leaves the listener in a good mood.

The music of Sympozion on Kundabuffer is really independent and a remarkable enrichment of the prog on the jazzed track.

prog_traveller!! | 4/5 |

Share this SYMPOZION review

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.