Anthony Phillips - Private Parts & Pieces V: Twelve  CD (album) cover

PRIVATE PARTS & PIECES V: TWELVE

Anthony Phillips

ancien.belge
5 stars This is really a neoclassical, not a prog-rock album. In that genre it is an overlooked masterpiece, and I would be a solid five stars. As a prog-music album I'd give it four, but am giving five to compensate for "barko".

"Twelve" consists of 12 pieces for 12-string guitar, each of which depicting one of the months of the year. I could not help being reminded of the solo guitar pieces of [Brazilian classical composer] Heitor Villa-Lobos.

It's probably more interesting (and DEFINITELY more musical) than most "comtemporary classical" music being written these days. I'd love to see a score published!

There is great textural variation in the music, in terms of volume, harmony (from consonant to sharply dissonant), and playing techniques.

It is not only evocative but holds up VERY well to repeated listening. As another reviewer remarked, one needs to hear it a few times before one truly appreciates it. It went into my iPod favorites list after two listens.

CAVEAT: I am an avid prog-rock (and to a lesser extent, fusion jazz) fan but also very much into serious classical music. Maybe the typical reader here isn't.

| 5/5 |