My Dying Bride - Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium CD (album) cover

SYMPHONAIRE INFERNUS ET SPERA EMPYRIUM

My Dying Bride

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

UMUR
2 stars Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium is an EP release by UK experimental doom/ death metal act My Dying Bride. The EP is the bandīs first release on the Peaceville Records label, being signed to said label on the grounds of the their God is Alone (1991) EP. The video for the title track was my introduction to My Dying Bride. The video was in heavy rotation on the MTV Headbangerīs Ball show in the early nineties. A show I followed with an almost religious interest back then. I remember I was quite breathtaken by the extremely heavy/ doomy and sad nature of that song and I instantly became a fan.

There are three tracks on the 20:12 minute long EP. The 11:39 minute long title track fills up the whole of the A-side and the two shorter tracks God is Alone and De Sade Soliloquay fill up the B-side. All three tracks have seen a release in other versions before being released on Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium. The title track was released in a shorter and not as developed version on the Towards the Sinister (1990) demo tape while the other two songs are available on the God is Alone EP from 1991. Also in other versions. The title track is the real treat here IMO. For the first time weīre invited into the doomy and sad world of My Dying Bride complete with extremely heavy distorted guitar riffs, growling vocals and to complete the sound the addition of violin ( a feature they would further investigate on subsequent releases). The song structure is actually quite interesting too as the song shifts style a couple of times throughout the playing time. The other two songs are more ordinary mid-paced death metal tracks. neither God is Alone nor De Sade Soliloquay impress me much. The latter mentioned is the most interesting of the two though.

The production is allright but nothing impressive.

Symphonaire Infernus et Spera Empyrium was a groundbreaking release in the doom/ death metal genre but doesnīt hold too many progressive elements IMO. The band would add those to their music on later releases. As only half the EP is of interest to me and the title track, even though it has good qualities, isnīt the best My Dying Bride have to offer ( a bit imature), a 2.5 star rating is warranted.

UMUR | 2/5 |