Blue Öyster Cult - Secret Treaties CD (album) cover

SECRET TREATIES

Blue Öyster Cult

friso
4 stars Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties (1974)

My rating is based on Prog related, not Prog.

As a vinyl collector I try a lot of bands. My first BOC record was Mirrors, which I thing is a fine pop/rock album. When I saw BOC on Pa I got interested in more records of this early 'heavy metal'/glamour/prog-related band. Secret Treaties seemed to be the right place to start for me.

Secret Treaties is a hard rock album (in 1974 it was called heavy metal) with a lot of melodic parts, catchy and intelligent songwriting and a great prog-related ending section with the Flaming Telepaths & Astronomy combo. Calling this album progressive is however totally non-sense, but it is such a nice addition to your collection! The recording is a bit below average, but the songs and the tempo of the album makes you want to listen to it till the end. The songs on side one have a positive vibe with some glamour/rock'n roll influences with great riffs and vocals. The lyrics fit perfectly with the music. "I choose to steal what you choose to show, and you know: I will not.. apologize! You're mine for the taking!". On side two Cagey Cretins continues in the style of side one, but Harvester of Eyes become more dreamy, Flaming Telepaths magestic and Astronomy breathtaking. The ending section is very memorable.

Conclusion. Classic hard rock album that shows the great potential of 'just' hard rock. The melodic approach of BOC works great and the experiments with new rhythms and riffs make this a highlight of the whole rock movement. The record is friendly for your environment. Recommend to people who like seventies (melodic) hard rock, metalfans that seek the roots and those who just like to have a light positive record in their collection. Four stars for prog related, three stars for prog.

friso | 4/5 |