Gentle Giant - In A Glass House CD (album) cover

IN A GLASS HOUSE

Gentle Giant

friso
3 stars Gentle Giant - In A Glass house (1971)

I didn't get this one....

By now Gentle Giant had become technically unbeatable in the field. This album was the last one I found for my vinyl collection. I've listened to it for ten times now and every time it ends in disappointment. I just don't like this album, though I feel ashamed admitting it. I understand it's a technical achievement for the progressive scene, but I don't like the songs that much.

Somehow this album makes me feel uncomfortable. It starts with the unpleasant guitar amplification on the first song (did they try to get an surf rock sound?!), get's amplified by the pling plong synthesizers throughout the album and finishes with the out of pitch vocals that are hard to bear. Among the problematic parts of the album are parts of pure genius. The great spacey guitar parts in the middle section of The Runaway, An inmate's Lullaby is nice throughout and some parts of the second side are very rewarding too. But overall it just isn't as good as the other seven album from Gentle Giant's big GG8. Some emotional parts might have suited the album well instead of the continues freak parts.

Conclusion. For now three stars. I would never give up on a Gentle Giant record and I hope to rewrite/add some information and some stars in the Future. For now three stars will do. I just didn't get this one...

friso | 3/5 |