Gentle Giant - Free Hand  CD (album) cover

FREE HAND

Gentle Giant

friso
4 stars Gentle Giant - Free Hand (1975)

And the Gentle Giant does it again. Number seven of the big GG8.

I really liked The Power and the Glory and the next effort Free Hand is another example of Gentle Giant's brilliance. The naive period of the first three albums is long gone and Gentle Giant sounds like it knows what it wants on Free Hand. The music is highly sophisticated, but always functional. For some this might be to prog, but I think it's a great example of what bands in the classic period wear capable of. Though Gentle Giant sounds highly professional, this album lacks some ground-braking ideas that made their early works so brilliant and essential.

On this album there are only great tracks, but some seem to be even more special. Just the Same is nice positive mood opening song that reminds me a bit of the opening track of The Power and the Glory. On Reflection is an four part vocal masterpiece with great instrumentation resembling Knots on the Octopus album. This track always get me in a euphoric mood, it's just so much music! The other tracks on the album are all very rewarding, but not as experimental as On Reflection. Therefore I won't discuss side two.

Conclusion. Another great Gentle Giant album, but not one of my favourites. After their fourth album Gentle Giant has found it's sound and they kept making great albums, but sometimes I miss the naive experimentation of the first four records. This leaves us with a very professional, progressive album with lots of great Gentle Giant material. That means I will give it a very very big four stars again.

friso | 4/5 |