Anathema - The Crestfallen CD (album) cover

Experimental/Post Metal

Prog Metal Team
1 stars This EP is included in the 2004 re-issue of Pentecost III, which condemns it to the collector's area by definition. But with only 2 songs that I care to listen to, this EP isn't recommendable neither.

The opening And I Lust is quite strong, oppressive, as doom should be, but it also contains melodic lead guitars that give it that typical romantic flavour in doom-death. A flowering rose amidst filth, decadence and decay. The Sweet Suffering could have been equally intriguing, but it lacks something truly memorable. Everwake is a delightful acoustic piece sung by an unaccredited female vocalist. It makes a strange appearance here and would have sounded more at ease on Anathema's later masterpiece Judgement.

The last two songs are from an earlier recording session (which is a flattering description for a one-mike recording in their uncle's basement). They are unlistenable for me, sounding monotonous and chaotic. More something of a statement then music to be listened to. Don't even consider buying this, even if you're a fan, like I am.

Bonnek | 1/5 |