Blue Öyster Cult - Tyranny And Mutation CD (album) cover

TYRANNY AND MUTATION

Blue Öyster Cult

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
2 stars Tyranny And Mutation came as big disappointment after I had enjoyed most of the preceding and the follow up album. This music is generally quite old-fashioned and woolly rockabilly. It has no bite, no ideas and no ambition.

The first five songs especially sound like they belong to an era from before my grand-dad was born. It's quite shocking that a band would still release this kind of tame rock 'n' roll as late as 1973. It doesn't have anything remotely challenging, not in the riffs nor the arrangements. I guess it is all competent within the style of music it wants to bring but it is entirely predictable and the exact opposite of what both Prog rock and progressive music means to me.

With Wings Wetted Down things improve slightly, it's a more spacious and slightly more modern type of song. Also Teen Archer is a pleasant rocker. Mistress of The Salmon Salt isn't remarkable different from the two preceding songs but appeals less to me. Oh! The album is over already. That would be the first surprising thing to happen in 40 minutes, and just when it was getting somewhere.

Because most of the material is done adequately I'll refrain from a 1 star verdict, but seriously, the person who came up with comparing BOC to Black Sabbath must have his ears examined.

Bonnek | 2/5 |