The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band CD (album) cover

SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND

The Beatles

Proto-Prog

friso
5 stars The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)

The year every started for me was 1967. Two great records of The Doors, one nice opening for Pink Floyd and the pop albums of pop albums: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Though the latter is now widely observed as an pop/rock album, it was actually more part of the psychedelic movement in my opinion. Of the thirteen tracks of the album at least eight must be psychedelic.

What to say about the music? Bombastic, catchy.. it's like an enormous live show right in your own living room! The progressiveness of this album lies in a lot of different elements. The first songs are recorded in a way they were melted into one continuing piece, the sound equipment and it's use are special, the song structures intelligent, the use of audience cheering on the title track, the gentle lyrics on A little help of my Friends, the lsd lyrics on Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, the positive and supercatcy Getting Better, the psychedelic Fixing a Hole and the heartbreaking emotional She's Leaving Home (which is one of my favourite Beatles songs). On side two is a bit less good but has some other great tracks like Lovely Rita, the title track reprise and ofcourse the famous (and symphonic) epic A Day in the life.

Conclusion. I'm going to be brief for this record. This is essential music. Five stars.

friso | 5/5 |