Henry Cow - Concerts CD (album) cover

Henry Cow

Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
3 stars This collection of different live recordings has many ups and downs. First of all, the sound quality is spuious at best. Some parts are clear, but never perfect. Some parts are rough and distorted. And some sound like the microphones were just scattered around the stage without respect for the instruments.

Also, I'm not sure why, but Dagmar Kraus' vocals usually annoy me. Her Lotte Lenya impersonation just doesn't strike a chord with me.

Despite all that, Henry Cow created some of the most interesting music of it's time. The compositions, if you can call them that can be eerie and disturbing, sounding like total disarray, but somehow in control.

The best parts here are when the band actually sets up some sort of rhythm for Frith and company to create solos and other noises over.

This is a good album, but I'd recommend getting the studio albums over this one.

Evolver | 3/5 |