Metallica - Reload CD (album) cover

RELOAD

Metallica

Valarius
4 stars This may seem an unpopular opinion, but I'm going to go ahead and give this record four stars. I feel the biggest problem regarding this album is that it generally has such a bad reputation that most peoples opinion of it gets swayed by what everyone else is saying. I'm not saying everyone is a sheep just following the trend, but I feel that most people listen to this record with their minds set that it is terrible because there are few good things said about it.

Well, I'm going to try (in vain) to defend it, because after a number of listens, 'Reload' has really grown on me, and I've come to realise there are a lot of very underrated moments here.

Okay, so these may be songs that didn't quite make it onto 'Load', but that doesn't mean they're terrible. 'Fuel' is a great opening track, which is as heavy and rocking as anything else Metallica have done. And then there's 'The Memory Remains' and 'The Unforgiven II' which are probably the only other songs most people are familiar with on this record. But with a bit of patience, there are some true gems waiting to be discovered here. For example, 'Attitude', 'Bad Seed' and 'Where the Wild Things Are' are all amazingly well put-together songs that are great to headbang to.

As usual the playing is all pretty tight. Kirk is becoming more comfortable with his wah pedal, Hetfield has his growl nailed to perfection, and Lars is, well... Lars.

I'm not saying this album is perfect, just that it is a lot better than people make it out to be. If it had been released by another band nobody would have a problem with it. But hey, I'll be the first to admit one thing, 'Low Man's Lyric' is indeed a pretty awful song. But that aside, this is a great rock album. Give it a chance, and then give it a few more. I did, and I don't regret it.

Valarius | 4/5 |