Devin Townsend - Terria CD (album) cover

TERRIA

Devin Townsend

Experimental/Post Metal

Valarius
2 stars The first time I heard this album I instantly regretted buying it and knew it'd never grow on me. Not being too keen on the whole Experimental/Post Metal/Tech Metal thing, I was not feeling too optimistic when it came time to write a review for it. Thankfully multiple listens has revealed a few nice surprises.

I wouldn't by any means consider this a bad album, it's just not really to my liking. I have no interest in Devin Townsend or Strapping Young Lad, and the only reason I bought this is because it was cheap and I thought it'd be worth checking out.

The songs mostly for me are too dull and boring and move at a very slow pace. In fact, this may seem a bit odd but this kind of feels to me like a mixture of early Fear Factory, Ayreon and Static-X. Only the bit about 'being good' is missing.

However, there are two songs I do like that are really epic and powerful and really make an impact, 'Earth Day' and 'Nobody's Here'. There are one or two other brief moments on the album, but for the most part these are the only songs I like.

It's not a terrible album, I just don't think it's that good either. One star would be too harsh, but three would be utterly ridiculous. Two stars it is, then.

Valarius | 2/5 |