Rush - Grace Under Pressure CD (album) cover

GRACE UNDER PRESSURE

Rush

snobb
3 stars Great band in a bad time.

Rush is a band that released one of greatest heavy prog album - "Moving Pictures". But after their "Signals" work I just missed interest to them. What doesn't means that they forgot how to play great music. I believe the reason is that just started to play DIFFERENT music. "Grace Under Pressure" is characteristic example of "new Rush music", and quite strong example!

First of all, their main sound there is keyboards and synthesizers. Even with same energetic, vocals and even some guitar work as before, keys based sound is a different thing. So, forget rockers, from now they are playing to mellow symphonic /over-orchestrated sound lovers. And they play it good! Just as a music fun, who grew up on rock sound and hated all pop-orchestrations, faceless sound walls and all cheesy and mellow songs , I could not be happy with this sound at all.

To be honest, even when playing this compromise -with-sales -increasing sound, the band stay at much higher position, than their new competitors. So, I feel respect to their roots and good rock-school, but it doesn't help me to love this music.

Possibly, one of good Rush albums during their bad time. Can't recommend it to real heavy prog lovers though.

snobb | 3/5 |