Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant  CD (album) cover

GENTLE GIANT

Gentle Giant

Morningrise
4 stars What an awesome debut. I really can not believe this album is ranked as the worst of their "classic era" on PA. Even with lower rating than Interview. Hopefully my review will do some justice.

Allow me to be honest with you. I'm certainly not a Gentle Giant die-hard fan.I do own most of their records up to Interview and I do find a lot of intersting elements to rescue in almost all of them. But when it comes to classic eclectic prog I'd rather go with Van Der Graaf Generator, the mighty Crimson, Gnidrolog or Bubu all the way.

That being said, I firmly believe this debut album is one of Gentle Giant's best on their catalogue. And diverse as well. It is hard rocking when it proposes to be hard rocking (Why Not?). Soft and gentle in tracks like Funny Ways and Isn't It Quiet And Cold?. Experimental in Alucard, and it even has the longest Gentle Giant track for the delight of us prog fans on Nothing At All, which is memorable.

Each and every single song on the album is wonderful, and the whole album on itself is ideal to understand what was about to come in following years. An excellent addition to any prog rock music collection, really near to the masterpiece status, and surely the perfect place for starters.

Morningrise | 4/5 |