Kayo Dot - Choirs Of The Eye CD (album) cover

Kayo Dot

RIO/Avant-Prog

EatThatPhonebook
4 stars 8/10

"Choirs Of The Eye" is a perfect mix between Avant-Garde and Post-Rock, with some Metal.

Post metal at its finest. After I fell in love with maudlin of the well, i wanted to give Kayo Dot a try, but I thought it was going to sound a lot like classic motw. And boy I was Wrong. Choirs of the Eye sounded like something I've never heard before, an excellent mixture between post rock and avant-garde metal; put also some jazz and baroque elements and you have this, a near perfect masterpiece that will hopefully go down in history.

The first track, " Marathon" is probably the best song of the album, starting kind of heavy and being mellow and creepy at the same time afterwards. I would like to remind you that these aren't just normal songs, but pieces almost without any melody, based on long, atmospheric, dense themes. The second track " A Pitcher of Summer" is the shortest song and, other than being the most melodic, it's the least complex song. Still beautiful though. The third Track " The Manifold Curiosity", is not as good as the other songs, but still maintains a high level. The fourth track " Wayfarer" has a similar structure of Marathon, even though there are more vocals and it's less creepy. The Fifth track " The Antique" is 14 minutes long and it's, along with the first track , the best piece of the album. It is mainly played with guitar, and has a riff that haunts all over the song, which is kind of scary sounding, but great.

In conclusion, I must say this is one of the best albums I've heard in months, so enjoy it!

EatThatPhonebook | 4/5 |