King Crimson - Discipline CD (album) cover

DISCIPLINE

King Crimson

Valarius
3 stars My first introduction to King Crimson came through hearing the song 'Red', a song I didn't think much of. Then one day at a car-boot sale I found this album and thought I'd give them a decent chance and if I'm not happy, at least I can rest assured I hadn't spent too much money on it.

Well, 'Discipline' turned out to be quite more than what I had expected.

In my opinion this is nowhere near a masterpiece, but this is a good effort that really represents what a Progressive Rock album should be: unique.

The band consists of some very intelligent musicians, who know how to write songs which are completely different from everything else. For example 'Elephant Talk' (my favourite track from the record), which is unlike anything else I've ever heard, and is easily one of the most fun songs ever.

But the fun doesn't stop there, songs like 'Thela Hun Ginjeet' and 'Indiscipline' are about as crazy and different as it gets. Despite these highlights though, at times I feel the album kind of plods along. I generally like every song on offer here, though definitely some more than others.

I'm not a diehard KC fan, and can't go into details of all their different eras, but I can say that this is my first Crimson album, and it has definitely made me a fan. Quite possibly the coolest-uncool album ever.

Valarius | 3/5 |